Kids are a whole different bunch of people when it comes to their energy levels and the amount of creativity they can bring to the fore if their talent is recognised and honed at the correct time. In the present times, it is not enough for a parent to get their children educated. Engaging the child daily in set of creative activities can go a long way in developing his or her mental and aesthetic abilities, and also sharpening their brains.
Creative activities are not something that a child needs to be exposed to only in summer camps or vacation time. These are something which should be introduced in the everyday regimen and it is an aspect that should be taken very seriously by parents.
Here are a few creative activities to bring out the best in your child:
1. Painting and drawing – Creative arts go a long way in developing a child’s senses. Provide them with picture books, story books, video material, and graphics and then let them see, grasp and formulate their own imagination when it comes to producing something on a sheet of paper. There can be multiple ways of looking at a particular object while having various interpretations. Children should be encouraged to think of these interpretations.
Another way to get their creative juices flowing is by making them work on picture to painting. Make them draw and paint a favourite picture of theirs and see what variations or similarities they can bring about.
2. Enhancing the sense of touch – Activities like hand painting, finger painting or making artefacts out of clay can go a long way in developing their sense of touch and feel. Handicrafts skills can be developed by providing them with art and crafts material like cardboards, glace paper, chart paper, glue, scissors, waste newspaper, ribbons, coloured threads, cotton wool and ask them to make shapes, figures, jewellery, their toys’ clothes and sceneries. This will also improve their physical grasp power and will make the fingers and hands deft.
3. Music and dance – Let your child express his or her feelings through the power of music and the ability to dance. Introducing the child early to music and dance will provide certain rhythm and grace in a child’s body while helping him or her develop the aesthetic sense of finer things in life. Music has a rare quality of letting out emotions even in the most non expressive child. So make them wear their dancing shoes and try out steps and moves that will contribute to their confidence.
4. Display – It is crucial that in both schools and homes, teachers and parents should have a display board in classrooms, or in their living rooms. This place can be used to showcase the little one’s creativity. This will induce confidence in the child that the work done is worthwhile to be seen by other people. This will encourage them further.
Points to remember-
While carrying out all these activities, it is important not to keep in mind a few simple things such as-
- While children are busy carrying out their activities, one should leave them to do things by their own. However, it is a good idea to keep checking on them at regular intervals. This will help you monitor their activities better and keep a track of their progress.
- Compliment them frequently for their creativity and the little details of their art pieces while keeping them grounded by politely and positively pointing out their mistakes.
- It is important to remember that this is a creative activity and not a strict school syllabus. So be free and amiable. Humour and laugh with them a lot so that the entire activity is a constructive one.
Don’t limit yourself to these ways to keep your child engaged and for improve their mental and physical faculties. Keep searching for newer and more interesting ways to make your child more creative and imaginative. This is a continuous process.