Turkey apple stuffing recipe
- Chopped celery – 1 ½ cups
- Chopped onion – ¾ cup
- Butter cubed – ¾ cup
- Whole wheat bread – 9 cups (a day old is better)
- Chopped apples – 3 cups
- Raisins – ¾ cup
- Salt – 1 ½ teaspoon
- Dried thyme – 1 ½ teaspoon
- Rubbed sage – ½ teaspoon
- Pepper – ¼ teaspoon
- Turkey – 1 (14 -16 pounds)
- Melted butter – for serving
- In an oven (preferably Dutch oven) sauté onion and celery in butter till they turn tender, remove this from heat and stir in bread crumbs, raisins, apples, pepper, sage and thyme.
- Before you can bake, loosely stuff the turkey with four cups of stuffing. Place remaining stuffs in greased two quart baking bowl, now refrigerate this till you place them to bake.
- Skewer the turkey openings and tie the drumsticks intact together, in the roasting pan, place the breast part facing up over the rack.
Brush the melted butter.
- Bake the stuff leaving it uncovered at 325 degree for over four hours, or till the reading of the thermometer reaches 180 degree for turkey and 165 degree for stuffing’s.
- Pierce occasionally the turkey using the pan drippings.
- If the turkey turns brown cover it with foil.
- Bake the additional stuffs leaving it covered for another half an hour.
- Uncover the stuff and bake them again for tem more minutes or till the dish turns little brown in colour.
- Cover the turkey and leave it like this for another 20 to 30 minutes before you can remove the stuffs and carve the turkey.
- Optionally you can even use extra pan drippings for the gravy.
- This dish will yield 10 to 12 servings.
- Note: you can also prepare the stuffing as said above and then bake it separately in three quart baking dish. Cover the dish and bake them for half an hour at 325 degree, uncover and bake it for another ten minutes.
Bring joy to your Christmas by preparing this special Christmas food recipe.